CHICAGO, Nov. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Morningstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: MORN), a leading provider of independent investment research, today reported estimated U.S. mutual fund asset flows through October 2012. Investors added $27.7 billion to long-term open-end funds during the month. Taxable-bond funds led the way with inflows of $29.6 billion, while U.S.-stock funds saw outflows of $8.3 billion.
Additional highlights from Morningstar's report on mutual fund flows:
- Investors continue to seek out higher-risk segments of the bond market. The multi-sector bond, bank loan, emerging-markets bond, nontraditional bond, world bond, and high-yield bond categories each saw inflows of more than $1.0 billion.
- PIMCO topped all firms with inflows of $8.1 billion in October, led by PIMCO Total Return Bond which took in $2.4 billion alone.
- DoubleLine Total Return took in $1.9 billion during the month and $17.9 billion year to date, making it the most popular mutual fund so far this year.
- Alternative funds have had the fastest organic growth rate of any asset class in 2012, collecting $12.4 billion in year-to-date inflows.
To view the complete report, please visit http://www.global.morningstar.com/octflows12. To view a video recapping October's U.S. asset flow trends, please visit http://bit.ly/octfundflows. For more information about Morningstar Asset Flows, please visit http://global.morningstar.com/assetflows.
The information contained herein: (1) is proprietary to Morningstar and/or its content providers; (2) may not be copied or distributed; and (3) is not warranted to be accurate, complete, or timely. Neither Morningstar nor its content providers are responsible for any damages or losses arising from any use of this information. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV