Canada's Processed Food Industry Trade Balance Deteriorating
Why are these findings important? Food processing is one of Canada's largest manufacturing sectors and is also the recipient of a significant share of Canada's agricultural output, particularly in certain provinces. In addition, many retailers and food service providers are interested in making Canadian agri-food products available to Canadian consumers.
CAPI commissioned the report to foster a constructive dialogue on the state and prospects of the processed food sector and the actions needed to go forward.
The report concludes that more work is required to explain the causes of the change in trade performance. For example, the report:
- acknowledges that the Canada-US exchange-rate pattern mirrors to some degree the timing of changes in the processed food trade balance but questions whether this is the underlying cause of the changes;
- underscores the importance of foreign market access but questions whether erosion of their benefits is affecting the Canadian processed food sector;
- notes that more analysis is required to better understand investment trends and regulatory impacts.
Figure 1: Canada's Trade Balance in Processed Foodhttp://files.newswire.ca/1153/Fig_1_Eng.pdf A high-resolution copy of the graph is available for download at: http://capi-icpa.ca/highlights2012/process-food-study_111412.html The Canadian Agri-Food Policy Institute (CAPI) is an independent, unbiased policy forum that is dedicated to the success of Canada's agriculture and agri-food sector. CAPI is a catalyst. It identifies emerging issues, promotes dialogue and advances alternative solutions to issues with stakeholders across diverse agri-food supply chains and among other food stakeholders. Based in Ottawa, CAPI was established as a not-for-profit corporation in 2004 by the federal government and is guided by a diverse Board of Directors and an Advisory Committee. SOURCE Canadian Agri-Food Policy Institute PDF available at: http://stream1.newswire.ca/media/2012/11/14/20121114_C8104_DOC_EN_20676.pdf
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV