In the wake of MF Global's late 2011 bankruptcy, TheStreet highlighted the challenges Corzine faced in trying find a profitable path for the company, after he took the reins of the commodity trader in March 2010.
Notably, in an effort to transform MF Global a full service brokerage, Corzine made a big bet on the short term debts of European nations, in an effort to capitalize on the region's escalating woes and fund an expansion effort. After MF Global disclosed its European exposure in the summer of 2011, ratings agencies cut the firm's bond ratings to or below investment grade levels, putting it on the brink.
While Corzine's European trade is likely to have worked out in the end - given a stabilization in Europe in 2012 -- his management of the firm's risk taking has come scrutiny and is likely to be a centerpiece of House subcommittee findings. Full findings are expected to be released later this week.
In August, the New York Times reported that it's unlikely MF Global's demise will lead to a criminal case against Corzine or other key employees of the firm.Jefferies (JEF), an investment bank that some expected to find a similar fate to MF Global, was sold to Leucadia National (LUK) earlier this week. --Written by Antoine Gara in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV