NEW YORK (TheStreet) - According to the industry experts at Gartner, overall cell phone sales were down worldwide during the third quarter, but smartphone sales continue to rise. That's good news for industry leader Samsung, but not so great for Nokia (NOK) and its legacy lines of "feature" phones.
Samsung has now taken over the number one spot with 22.9% of worldwide sales, up 4 percentage points from the same period last year. Nokia is now in second place with 19.2%. Apple (AAPL) takes over the number three spot with 5.5%, up from 3.9% in the third quarter of 2011.
Number four, China's ZTE, saw increased market share with 3.9%, while Korea's LG Electronics suffered a drop in sales but remains in fifth place with 3.3% (down from last year's third-place showing of 4.8%).
Rounding out this quarter's top ten are Huawei (2.8%), China's TCL (2.2%), Research in Motion (RIMM) (2.1%), Motorola, a division of Google (GOOG) (2.0%) and HTC (2.0%). All other manufacturers account for the remaining 34.1% of cell phone handset sales.As for sales of units by operating system, Google widened its lead this past quarter. Android sales now account for a whopping 72.4% of all smartphone sales - up from 52.5% just one year ago. Apple's iOS is in second place with 13.9%, down from 15% last year. Research in Motion's Blackberry OS dropped from 11% to 5.3% in the third quarter, followed by Samsung's other smartphone platform, Bada (3.0%), Symbian (2.6%, down from 16.9%) and Microsoft (MSFT) Windows Phones (up from 1.5% to 2.4%) rounding out Gartner's list. Overall, Gartner reports that nearly 170 million smartphones were sold worldwide during this year's third quarter. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV