News Summary: Austerity Protests Stall Europe
The Associated Press
CUT IT OUT: Thousands of Europeans went on strike or snarled the streets of several capitals Wednesday, at times clashing with riot police, as they demanded that governments stop cutting benefits and create more jobs.
DO OR DIE: To combat a three-year financial crisis over too much debt, governments across Europe have had to cut spending, pensions, benefits and raise taxes.
END OF AN ERA? Europe has a long history of union action. Workers' rights and benefits have been one of the cornerstones of its welfare states, with guaranteed medical care, generous unemployment benefits and often comfortable pensions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV