NEWTON, Mass., Nov. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- TripAdvisor®, the world's largest travel site*, today announced the results of an independent study 1 that underscores how essential online traveler reviews have become for hotel bookings. The commissioned report, conducted by PhoCusWright® on behalf of TripAdvisor, reveals more than half (53 percent) of respondents state that they will not book a hotel that does not have any reviews on the site, and 87 percent of users agree that TripAdvisor hotel reviews "help me feel more confident in my decisions."
Of those polled, 98 percent of respondents have found TripAdvisor hotel reviews to be accurate of the actual experience, and 95 percent of users state that they would recommend TripAdvisor hotel reviews to others.
The survey also reveals some interesting findings about why travelers write reviews, how they use them when planning a trip and the impact management responses have on their perceptions of properties.Travelers Stay Positive The survey debunks a common misconception that travelers primarily write reviews to complain about bad guest experiences. In fact, sharing positive experiences is their main motivation:
- 74% state that they write reviews because they want to share a good experience with other travelers
- 78% state that they write reviews because they feel good about sharing useful information with other travelers
- 71% of users state that they like to see basic information (i.e., number of reviews written) about contributors as they browse through reviews
- 67% of users state that, when available, they look at traveler-submitted photos to help them make hotel choices
- 59% of users state that when reading reviews, they ignore extreme comments
- Only 5% of users state that they focus more on negative reviews to check for hotels and avoid potential pitfalls
- 57% of users agree that seeing hotel management responses to reviews generally "makes me more likely to book it (versus a comparable hotel that didn't respond to travelers)"
- 84% of users agree that an appropriate management response to a bad review "improves my impression of the hotel"
- 78% of users agree that seeing a hotel management response to reviews "makes me believe that it cares more about its guests"
- 64% of users agree that an aggressive/defensive management response to a bad review "makes me less likely to book that hotel"
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV