Blue Cross And Blue Shield Association And Partnership For A Healthier America Bring 40 "Play Streets" To 10 Cities To Combat Childhood Obesity
"Today in America, one in five kids doesn't have access to a playground – that's millions of children who can't pick up a ball, run outside or have fun in a safe environment," said PHA President and CEO Lawrence A. Soler. "These cities, with the support of BCBSA and their local Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies, have taken the first step in helping us ensure that every kid has a place to play and be active. We can't wait to see how each city brings its Play Street to life, to see kids running around these new spaces and to hear sounds of traffic replaced by sounds of kids at play."
Cities across the country that have created play spaces from streets have seen a positive impact. In New York City, 64 percent of the kids using Play Streets reported that, if not for the local Play Street, they would have been engaged in a sedentary activity; 71 percent reported that they walked to the Play Street, an added benefit. The same survey also pointed to the promise that Play Streets holds for local economic development: area businesses reported that foot traffic around the Play Streets increased greatly.
Play Streets is just one part of both BCBSA's and PHA's work to end the physical inactivity epidemic facing America. Just as there is no one cause of obesity, there is no one solution; that's why PHA has partnered with a diverse range of organizations and companies to attack this challenge from several angles. PHA's other physical activity programs include:
- Creating a set of essential practices to increase the quality and quantity of youth physical activity programming in America;
- Working with the YMCA of the USA, Bright Horizons and New Horizons Academy to limit screen time and ensure a minimum of 60 minutes of physical activity for approximately 1 million children in their day care centers;
- Partnering with Child Obesity 180 to reward innovative and impactful physical activity school programs and technologies; and
- Engaging 1.7 million children in beginner level Olympic and Paralympic sport programming through the U.S. Olympic Committee and key national governing bodies.
For more than 80 years, The Blues ® have made a difference in the lives of the communities they serve and are committed to the fight to end childhood obesity. Below are examples of the "Power of Blue" and how Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies are making significant impacts in the communities they serve.
- Collectively, in 2011 Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies contributed tens of millions of dollars in direct community investments to support the health and well-being of children across the U.S.
- More than 15,000 of BCBSA's Good Health Club Physician Toolkits have been distributed across 31 states. The toolkit was developed in consultation with the American Diabetes Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics to help doctors talk with their patients and families about childhood obesity.
- The Blues also partner with KaBOOM!, a national non-profit dedicated to saving play for America's children by creating play spaces across the U.S. By year-end 2012, the impact of Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies efforts with KaBOOM!, will be significant:
- $3.7 million in contributions
- More than 9,200 community and Blue Cross and Blue Shield volunteers
- 43 Playgrounds providing more than 122,500 kids and their families a place to play
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV