JOHANNESBURG and LIMA, Peru, November 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
Gold Fields Limited (Gold Fields) (JSE, NYSE, NASDAQ Dubai: GFI) and Compañia de Minas Buenaventura S.A.A. (Buenaventura) (NYSE, BVN; Lima Stock Exchange: BUE.LM) today announced an update on the Chucapaca exploration project in the southern Peruvian region of Moquegua. The project is a joint venture by Gold Fields (51%) and Buenaventura (49%) and operated by Gold Fields.
The partners have studied the viability of a large open-pit operation capable of sustaining a 30,000 tonnes per day throughput. A first draft of the feasibility study has been completed and as a result of relatively high capital and operating costs this option would not have delivered acceptable project returns.
Consequently, further study work will have to be performed by the joint venture focusing on value engineering the project to achieve the expected returns. Future work will mainly include the following:
- Analysing different options for mine development, including an underground or a combined open-pit underground operation, and alternative throughput levels;
- Re-establishing exploration to add resource flexibility, once the required permits are granted; and,
- Optimising capital and project operating costs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV