Retail, at least on the domestic side, has not been a good business for the company. This past quarter that segment represented less than 17% of total domestic revenue but lost $15.5 million on $140 million of revenue. So far this year, Jones has closed 85 retail locations and plans to close another 15 by year-end. This is a positive step.
The good news for Jones was that this past quarter, the company crushed the consensus earnings estimate. It earned 57 cents a share, well ahead of the 32-cent estimate.
The market, however, was unimpressed by those results, primarily because Jones lowered guidance for the full year and suggested that the holiday retail season may be challenging.
The balance sheet has pluses and minuses. Jones ended last quarter with a healthy $234 million, or $3.14 per share, in cash. Inventory dropped about 6% vs. the same quarter last year. Debt, however, stood at $960 million, putting the long-term debt-to-equity ratio at 87.4%, which is a concern, for me anyway. Interest expense for the quarter was $37.8 million and for the trailing nine months was $89.7 million.Jones is maintaining its 5-cent quarterly dividend and yields 1.8%. The company is also buying back stock and has reduced shares outstanding by 4.2 million shares in the past year. I like the dividend and the buyback activity; that can be a powerful combination. I don't, however, like the level of debt. Consensus estimates for 2013 are calling for earnings of $1.23, putting the forward price-to-earnings ratio at 9. At this point, Jones is back on my radar, but I'll be looking for further progress. At the time of publication, Heller had no positions in stocks mentioned. Follow @JonMHellerCFA
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV