Gold Fields Limited (Gold Fields) (JSE, NYSE, NASDAQ Dubai: GFI) and Compañia de Minas Buenaventura S.A.A. (Buenaventura) (NYSE, BVN; Lima Stock Exchange: BUE.LM) today announced an update on the Chucapaca exploration project in the southern Peruvian region of Moquegua. The project is a joint venture by Gold Fields (51%) and Buenaventura (49%) and operated by Gold Fields.
The partners have studied the viability of a large open-pit operation capable of sustaining a 30,000 tonnes per day throughput. A first draft of the feasibility study has been completed and as a result of relatively high capital and operating costs this option would not have delivered acceptable project returns.
Consequently, further study work will have to be performed by the joint venture focusing on value engineering the project to achieve the expected returns. Future work will mainly include the following:
- Analysing different options for mine development, including an underground or a combined open-pit underground operation, and alternative throughput levels;
- Re-establishing exploration to add resource flexibility, once the required permits are granted; and,
- Optimising capital and project operating costs.
The partners reiterate their commitment to unlocking the potential of the Chucapaca project, which will need the support of all stakeholders, particularly neighbouring communities. Gold Fields has built a close relationship with them and expects to continue working together through this phase of the project.Notes to editors About Gold Fields Gold Fields is one of the world’s largest unhedged producers of gold with attributable annualised production of 3.6 million gold equivalent ounces from eight operating mines in Australia, Ghana, Peru and South Africa. Gold Fields also has an extensive and diverse global growth pipeline with four major projects in resource development and feasibility, with construction decisions expected in the next 18 to 24 months. Gold Fields has total attributable gold equivalent Mineral Reserves of 76.7 million ounces and Mineral Resources of 225.4 million ounces. Gold Fields is listed on the JSE Limited (primary listing), the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), NASDAQ Dubai Limited, Euronext in Brussels (NYX) and the Swiss Exchange (SWX).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV