MAP Pharma's Awkward FDA Silence
According to these FDA rules, a company with a drug application acceptable for resubmission hears back from the agency within 14 days. If FDA continues to have problems with a resubmitted drug application, the company will also be informed but not necessarily within 14 days.
Navidea heard back from FDA in 14 days that the Lymphoseek resubmission was accepted. MAP Pharma is now on Day 29 of not hearing anything from FDA about the Levadex resubmission.
Levadex is an inhaled formulation of DHE, a drug already used in intravenous and nasal spray formulations to treat migraines. MAP Pharma developed a device that allows patients suffering from acute migraines to inhale the drug into their lungs, thereby accelerating pain relief.
FDA rejected Levadex in late March for what the company claims were outstanding problems related only to the manufacturing process for the device. The FDA did not raise safety concerns, including the possibility that migraine sufferers inadvertently take more than one Levadex dose at a time, MAP Pharma claimed. After meeting with FDA in June, MAP Pharma said it had all the data necessary to resubmit Levadex without needing to conduct new clinical trials or making additional refinements to the device.MAP Pharma has been embroiled in FDA controversy in the past. The company had long claimed Levadex clinical trials were conducted under a Special Protocol Assessment (SPA) agreement with FDA. But later, MAP Pharma was forced to acknowledge that no Levadex SPA existed. -- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow @AdamFeuerstein
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV