PRINCETON, N.J., Nov. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Soligenix, Inc. (OTCQB: SNGX) (Soligenix or the Company), a development stage biopharmaceutical company, announced today its financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2012.
Soligenix's revenues for the quarter ended September 30, 2012 were $931,627 as compared to $5,795,862 for the third quarter of 2011. Revenues for the third quarter of 2011 included grant revenues of $795,862 and license revenue of $5,000,000 from Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Sigma-Tau) for rights to orBec ® (oral beclomethasone 17,21-dipropionate or BDP) in the European territory. Grant revenue increased by $135,765 and was primarily related to increased reimbursable costs from the Company's ThermoVax™, Thermostability Technology Grant focused on a novel method of rendering aluminum salt adjuvanted vaccines stable at elevated temperatures.
Soligenix's net (loss) for the quarter ended September 30, 2012 was $758,966 or $(0.07) per share, as compared to a net income of $2,204,874 or $0.20 per share for the quarter ended September 30, 2011, representing an increased loss of $2,963,840. The increased loss is primarily related to the execution of the license with Sigma-Tau for rights to the European territory in the third quarter of 2011.
Research and development expenses for the quarter ended September 30, 2012 were $371,338 as compared to $2,342,253 for the quarter ended September 30, 2011. The significant decrease of $1,970,915 is attributable to payment of approximately $1,000,000 in the form of cash and company stock in connection with the Sigma-Tau European territory license agreement and decreased spending associated with the discontinuation of the confirmatory Phase 3 clinical trial of orBec ® for the treatment of acute gastrointestinal Graft-versus-Host disease (GI GVHD). General and administrative expenses for the quarter ended September 30, 2012 decreased by $36,144 to $558,877, compared to $595,021 for the quarter ended September 30, 2011.As of September 30, 2012, the Company's cash position was approximately $3,700,000 with working capital of approximately $3,100,000. Christopher J. Schaber, PhD, President and Chief Executive Officer of Soligenix stated, "In the third quarter of 2012 we continued to make steady progress in advancing a number of our programs utilizing oral BDP, in both our BioTherapeutics and Vaccine/BioDefense business segments. We were pleased to receive Investigational New Drug (IND) clearance and Fast Track designation for SGX203 from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). We remain committed to enhancing our development pipeline through internal efforts and external strategic alliances. We look forward to reporting on further progress on all programs during the remainder of this year." Soligenix's Recent Highlight:
- On November 8, 2012, the Company announced that its SGX203 program in pediatric Crohn's disease received "Fast Track" designation from the FDA. The Company has also previously received Orphan Drug Designation from the FDA for oral BDP as a treatment for pediatric Crohn's Disease.
- On October 3, 2012, the Company announced the formation of a Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) to provide strategic guidance to the Company as it relates to the development of OrbeShield™ (oral BDP) for the treatment of gastrointestinal acute radiation syndrome (GI-ARS).
- On September 28, 2012, the Company announced that results of a study in a canine model of OrbeShield™ was being presented at a poster session entitled, "Post-exposure oral BDP improves survival in a canine GI ARS model." The presentation was made during the 58th Annual Meeting of the Radiation Research Society held in San Juan, Puerto Rico on September 30 through October 3, 2012.
- On September 13, 2012, the Company announced that the U.S. Patent Office granted patent 8,263,582 entitled "Method of Treating Inflammatory Disorders of the Gastrointestinal Tract using Topically Active Corticosteroids." The new patent's main claims cover the use of BDP in orally administered dosage forms that act concurrently in both the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract. These dosage forms include the Company's oral formulation of BDP currently in development for pediatric Crohn's disease, acute radiation enteritis, and GI GVHD.
- On September 6, 2012, the Company announced that the FDA had completed its review and cleared the IND application for SGX203 for the induction treatment of pediatric Crohn's disease. Clearance of the IND allows Soligenix to initiate a Phase 1/2 pharmacokinetic /pharmacodynamic study of SGX203 in healthy adolescents and young adults.
- On September 4, 2012, the Company announced that the National Cancer Institute (NCI) awarded Soligenix a Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) grant to support the conduct of a Phase 2 clinical trial with orBec® in the treatment chronic GI GVHD. The award provides Soligenix with approximately $300,000 over a two-year period.
- On August 30, 2012, the Company announced the results of a Phase 1B clinical trial of an aluminum hydroxide (Alum) adjuvanted formulation of RiVax™, designed to improve the immunogenicity of the vaccine. The results of the Phase 1B study indicate that Alum adjuvanted RiVax™ is safe and well tolerated, and induces greater ricin neutralizing antibody levels in humans than adjuvant-free RiVax™.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts