Stock Futures Pare Gains After Downbeat Retail Data
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- U.S. stock futures were paring gains Wednesday after some downbeat domestic retail sales data.
Futures for the Dow Jones Industrial Average were advancing 30 points, or 37.82 points above fair value, at 12,747. Futures for the S&P 500 were up 5.10 points, or 4.97 points above fair value, at 1376. Futures for the Nasdaq were rising 12.25 points, or 12.74 points above fair value, at 2572.
"With the majority of earnings reports in (approximately 70% better than expected) and the elections complete the equity markets are searching hard for direction and the fiscal cliff is clearly the major concern of the moment and the main driver," said Mike Boyle, senior vice president, Asset Management of Advisors Asset Management . "Given this we would look for the S&P 500 to tack between 1350 and 1430 through year-end as the fiscal cliff negotiations heat up, but we fully expect the cliff to be averted and the S&P 500 to post a double digit return for 2012 and again in 2013."
President Barack Obama is scheduled to speak at the White House Wednesday and meet with dozens of corporate executives as he works towards striking a deal on the fiscal cliff with Congress.The Census Bureau reported Wednesday that retail sales fell 0.3% in October, more than the 0.2% decline expected by economists, after increasing by an upwardly revised 1.3% in September. Excluding motor vehicles, retail sales were unchanged; economists had forecast an increase of 0.2%. "October's U.S. retail sales figures suggest that consumption has lost a bit of momentum ahead of the crucial holiday shopping season," said Paul Dales, senior U.S. economist at Capital Economics. "Even after excluding sales of gasoline, autos and building materials, underlying sales fell by 0.1%
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV