- Immune Pharmaceuticals Ltd., a privately held Israeli company, and EpiCept announced on November 8, 2012 that they have entered into a definitive merger agreement. The transaction is anticipated to close during the first quarter of 2013 and is subject to satisfaction of certain customary closing conditions, including the approval of the shareholders of EpiCept. The combined company will be focused on developing antibody therapeutics and other targeted drugs for the treatment of inflammatory diseases and cancer. Immune’s lead product candidate, bertilimumab, is a fully human monoclonal antibody that targets eotaxin-1, a chemokine involved in eosinophilic inflammation, angiogenesis and neurogenesis. Immune is currently initiating a placebo-controlled, double-blind Phase II clinical trial with bertilimumab for the treatment of ulcerative colitis.The companies’ collective oncology portfolios comprise Immune’s NanomAbs ®, a new generation of antibody drug conjugates, and EpiCept’s vascular disruption agents. The combined company will continue efforts to secure a partner for EpiCept’s Phase III clinical development candidate AmiKet™, for which efficacy has been demonstrated for the treatment of chemotherapy-induced neuropathic pain and post-herpetic neuralgia.The terms of the merger agreement provide that, upon the closing of the transaction, EpiCept will issue shares of its common stock to Immune shareholders in exchange for all of the outstanding shares of Immune, with EpiCept shareholders retaining approximately 22.5 percent ownership of the combined company and Immune shareholders receiving approximately 77.5 percent, calculated on an adjusted fully diluted basis. The proportionate ownership of the combined company by the EpiCept and Immune shareholders is subject to adjustment based upon the size of certain specified liabilities of EpiCept at the merger effective time and does not initially include the exercise or conversion of certain EpiCept options and warrants whose exercise/conversion prices are significantly higher than the current trading price of EpiCept's common stock.The combined company will have dual headquarters in Herzliya-Pituach, Israel and in the New York City area, with research laboratories in Rehovot, Israel. Daniel Teper, PharmD, the Chief Executive Officer of Immune Pharmaceuticals, will become the Chairman and CEO of the combined company. Dr. David Sidransky, Director of Head and Neck Research Division, Professor of Oncology at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, and a former Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors of ImClone Systems, will be the Vice Chairman of the Board of the combined company. Immediately following the merger effective time, the board of directors of the combined company will consist of the then-current directors of Immune plus Mr. Cook, who will also serve as the CFO. The combined company plans to assume EpiCept’s common stock listings on the OTCQX and on the NASDAQ OMX Stockholm Exchange.The signing of the definitive merger agreement with Immune Pharmaceuticals met the November 15, 2012 deadline imposed on the Company by its senior lender, MidCap Financial LLP. The loan is expected to be restructured and assumed by the combined company at the closing of the merger.
- On August 28, 2012, EpiCept received notice of termination of the License and Collaboration Agreement, dated November 19, 2003, with Myrexis, Inc. Myrexis has elected to terminate its efforts to develop and commercialize any product covered under the License, including its drug candidate Azixa™. As a result of the termination of the agreement, all rights and licenses granted under the License by the Company to Myrexis have reverted to the Company. The Company is currently negotiating a new agreement with Myrexis to secure rights to the Myriad Technology as set forth in the License Agreement.
EpiCept Reports Third Quarter 2012 Operating And Financial Results
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.