Points Of Light, Village Capital Launch First Accelerator Dedicated To For-Profit And Nonprofit Ventures That Put People At Center Of Change
Inaugural Program Supported by PwC Charitable Foundation, Inc. and Starbucks Foundation
10 Start-Ups Begin Intensive 12-Week Boot Camp Today, Vie for Two $50,000 Investments
ATLANTA, Nov. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Points of Light and Village Capital today launched the first start-up accelerator dedicated solely to investing in civic ventures that inspire, equip or mobilize people to create positive change.Teams from 10 start-ups will gather this week in Atlanta for the start of an intensive 12-week boot camp focused on mentoring, entrepreneur education, peer support and networking. Each start-up has received a $10,000 investment. Two of the most promising ventures – as determined by the entrepreneurs themselves – will win $50,000 investments at the end of the 12 weeks. PwC Charitable Foundation, Inc. and Starbucks Foundation are supporting the unique accelerator. "Supporting productive and disruptive innovators in the research and design of sustainable, scalable programs that drive charitable endeavors is an important part of our giving philosophy," said Chris Simmons, president, PwC Charitable Foundation, Inc. "We congratulate the 10 start-ups selected for the accelerator and look forward to seeing their individual plans to catalyze social change through innovation in the areas of education and humanitarianism." "At Starbucks, we believe strongly in the power of the entrepreneur and the opportunity for businesses to be the catalyst for change in their communities," said Adam Brotman, chief digital officer, Starbucks. "We are honored to support this program and look forward the success of these ventures." "Entrepreneurs are bringing new thinking and innovative business models to the critical work of helping others," said Ayesha Khanna, president of Points of Light's Civic Incubator. "We are pleased to help these 10 promising teams successfully launch civic ventures to drive social good in communities across the country." "Over the next three months, these enterprises will get the best support and the toughest criticism they've ever received from their peers," said Ross Baird, executive director of Village Capital. "We'll focus on everything from customer validation to board-building to fundraising to financials, and we expect that the collaboration of these amazingly talented people will be a force multiplier for their success." The 10 start-ups gathering at today's event include:
- AltruHelp ( Boston) is building a software solution and online community to increase volunteerism and millennial civic engagement.
- Bould ( Denver) connects students with the real-world experience necessary for green careers.
- CareerVillage ( Boston) helps working professionals provide career information and advice directly to students.
- Generation Citizen ( New York) empowers young people to become engaged and effective citizens.
- GivKwik ( San Francisco) is a social, mobile and web platform that inspires impulse philanthropy.
- HopeMob ( New York) unites strangers to rally behind people with pressing needs.
- Moneythink ( Chicago) makes financial literacy relevant and fun for urban 11 th and 12 th graders.
- MyMaryland ( Silver Spring, Md.) is democracy's first 24/7 online town hall.
- Smallknot ( New York) is a community crowd-funding platform for small business.
- UBELONG ( Washington, D.C.) provides high-impact, affordable international volunteering opportunities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV