Quebecor Killing Itself By Abandoning Quality Local Jobs And Journalism
OTTAWA, Nov. 13, 2012 /CNW/ - CWA Canada is calling on Quebecor to stop its slash-and-burn, cost-cutting strategy and focus on quality local jobs and journalism to boost profits.
Quebecor revealed today that it is cutting some 500 jobs at its Sun Media newspaper division, including the closure of production plants in Ottawa and Kingston.
CWA Canada, the union that represents workers at several Sun Media newspapers including the Kingston Whig-Standard, maintains that cutting jobs is the wrong strategy and will only make things worse in the long run.
"If we've learned anything over the last few years, it's that cutting jobs only hurts quality, and that does nothing to attract readers or generate revenue," said CWA Canada Director Martin O'Hanlon. "Quebecor should be investing in quality local jobs and journalism to win back disenchanted readers.""Quebecor talks a good story about its commitment to the communities it serves, but everything it does — from cutting local jobs to producing sub-standard local news — is bad for those communities." O'Hanlon noted that the job cuts carry a big personal and community toll. Hundreds of workers will soon be out of work, hurting them, their families and the communities in which they live and contribute. O'Hanlon suggested that Quebecor borrow a page from legendary investor Warren Buffett who is busy buying newspapers in the United States and committing to quality local journalism as the key to success. CWA Canada is the country's only media-specific union, representing over 6,000 workers at companies such as the CBC, The Canadian Press, Reuters, and newspapers coast to coast. SOURCE CWA-SCA CANADA
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV