2. As of noon trading, Southern ( SO) is up $0.35 (0.8%) to $42.93 on average volume Thus far, 1.5 million shares of Southern exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 4.0 million shares. The stock has ranged in price between $42.41-$42.94 after having opened the day at $42.42 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $42.58. The Southern Company operates as an electric utility company. It is involved in the generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity through coal, nuclear, oil and gas, and hydro resources. Southern has a market cap of $37.6 billion and is part of the utilities industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 16.9, below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 8.0% year to date as of the close of trading on Monday. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate Southern a buy, 2 analysts rate it a sell, and 12 rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Southern as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, expanding profit margins, growth in earnings per share, notable return on equity and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself. Get the full Southern Ratings Report now.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts