AMSTERDAM, November 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- A new program aims to help postdocs stay current in their field
Elsevier, a world-leading provider of scientific, technical and medical information products and services, today announced the launch of the Postdoc Free Access Program, a new initiative designed to help early career researchers who are in between research positions stay up-to-date in their field.
For scholars who have recently received their PhD and currently do not have a research position, the program will offer postdocs a Free Access Passport, with complimentary access to journals and books on ScienceDirect for up to 6 months.The global economic climate for science funding has created new challenges for post doctoral students, especially for those looking for employment. In response to this growing trend, the program was conceived by editors and publishers at Elsevier who began to hear from postdocs in countries where funding has been hit hardest. Many emphasized the mounting pressure to stay competitive and publish, in many cases without the resources to do so. Lenka Stockova, a research assistant from the Czech Republic said about the initiative, "This is a great opportunity for postdocs to keep in touch with the latest news in their field of interest and to identify the most active centers of research where they can apply for a position." According to Lenka, access to published research is "not only important, it is really necessary. Otherwise you cannot keep up with the latest research in your branch of study." Professor Stephen Neidle, Editor-in-Chief of Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, part of Elsevier's flagship Tetrahedron chemistry journal portfolio, who was part of the team that devised the program, explains, "Postdocs are facing a challenging time as big pharma has closed down many operations in Europe and the United States. University budgets are squeezed and research budgets are reduced. It will be important to keep the interest and commitment of the younger generation." In order to qualify for the Free Access Passport, candidates will be asked to fill out a form verifying their credentials, before December 15, 2012. Once approved, they will receive a personal code allowing access to ScienceDirect. Qualifying criteria include:
- Postdoc researchers who have received their PhD within the past 10 years
- At least one recent postdoc position which was completed in the past three months or that will be completed within three months
- A letter of recommendation from the postdoc's supervisor and/or institution verifying employment
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV