MADD's "Tie One On For Safety" Holiday Campaign Cautions Drivers As More Highway Deaths Caused By Drunk Driving
-- Thanksgiving was the Deadliest Thursday of 2010; Puts Spotlight on "Blackout Wednesday" --
DALLAS, Nov. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- As we kick off the holidays with Thanksgiving, Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) is reminding adults to plan ahead for a safe way home if they're planning to drink alcohol during the season's festivities. Data show that the time period between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day includes some of the most dangerous days for drunk driving deaths, and the numbers are getting worse in recent years — as annual drunk driving deaths have decreased, there has been an increase in the proportion of drunk driving deaths around the holidays. In addition, there's a troubling trend of drunk driving fatalities in the early morning hours of Thanksgiving Thursday, following what's becoming known as "Blackout Wednesday," a time when people who are home for the holiday are choosing to celebrate with excessive amounts of alcohol.
The proportion of people killed in drunk driving crashes (.08 BAC and above) over the Thanksgiving holiday spiked by 30 percent in 2010 compared to the rest of the year. Additionally, the number of drunk driving deaths increased by 24 percent compared with the year prior. Below are further details about fatalities over the holiday in recent years:Thanksgiving Holiday (includes "Blackout Wednesday" and the weekend following Thanksgiving)
- 2010*: 174 people killed ( 40 percent of highway deaths)
- 2009: 140 people killed (34 percent of highway deaths)
- 2008: 180 people killed (35 percent of highway deaths)
- 2010: 96 people killed ( 37 percent of highway deaths)
- 2009: 95 people killed (36 percent of highway deaths)
- 2008: 138 people killed (32 percent of highway deaths)
- 2010: 143 people killed ( 48 percent of highway deaths)
- 2009: 185 people killed (40 percent of highway deaths)
- 2008: 175 people killed (41 percent of highway deaths)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV