Also, the National Federation of Independent Business reported that its small-business optimism index rose to 93.1 in October from 92.8 in September, compared with the average analyst expectation of a print of 92.5.
The federal budget for October came in at a deficit of $120 billion, wider than expectations for a $113 billion deficit.
The FTSE 100 in London settled up 0.32%, while the DAX in Germany finished up 0.08% on Tuesday. Japan's Nikkei average settled down 0.18% and Hong Kong's Hang Seng closed lower by 1.13%.
The ZEW German economic-expectations index showed a decline in November versus the forecasts for an improvement.Gold for December delivery slid $6.10 to settle at $1,724.80 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange, while December crude oil contracts fell 19 cents to close at $85.38. The benchmark 10-year Treasury was unchanged, stalling the yield at 1.594%. The dollar was up incrementally, according to the
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV