AU Optronics Corp.
Taiwanese flat panel display maker AU Optronics Corp. (AUO) is forming a similar setup right now. Just like FSLR, AUO is sporting horizontal resistance just above $4 and uptrending support below shares. Unlike FSLR, though, AU Optronics is testing a breakout above its resistance level this week -- here's how to trade it.
First, it's valuable to think about how this pattern works in real terms -- after all, patterns like the ascending triangle don't work because of magic or geometry. Instead, it all comes down to supply and demand in the market. The resistance level at $4 and change is a price where sellers have recently been more eager to sell and take gains than buyers were to buy. But a breakout above that level indicates that all of the excess selling pressure at $4 has been absorbed by increasingly committed buyers.
That's why it makes sense to buy a breakout through a resistance level.Momentum, measured by 14-day RSI, adds some extra confidence over this trade -- momentum has been in an uptrend since back before shares made their bottom in August, and it remains in one. Since momentum is a leading indicator of price, that's a good sign for AUO bulls. I'd recommend waiting to see if shares follow through in today's session before jumping into this trade.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV