ATLANTA, Nov. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Comcast today announced that The Walker School, a college-preparatory pre-K-12 independent school in metro Atlanta, is using Comcast Business Class Ethernet to provide additional bandwidth at a lower cost as the school continues to grow its use of online learning tools and applications across a seven-building campus.
Besides powering more iPads and cloud-based applications on campus, the new Ethernet service also supports the school's online systems for creating and recording report cards, grade books, attendance, group collaboration, and communicating with students and parents.
With more than 1,000 students, 180 faculty and staff, and 400 computers for accessing the Internet, educational applications and online resources, The Walker School had seen a significant increase in data traffic on its network. In addition, the school's Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) support meant there were typically 100-150 mobile devices simultaneously on the network accessing the Internet, educational applications, or other content. As a result, the school's previous 15 Mbps Internet connection was getting bogged down, especially during peak hours of the school day.To address its growing bandwidth needs, The Walker School's Information Technology (IT) department started speaking with area schools about their service providers and received a lot of positive feedback that Comcast was able to provide faster connectivity at competitive prices. After researching their options, the school selected Comcast to install a fiber network connection to its campus with a 100 Mbps Internet service. The installation was completed during summer break and students and staff returning for the new school year remarked on the noticeable improvement in Internet speed and connectivity. The Walker School is now getting seven times more bandwidth while its cost per megabit per second has dropped 76 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV