Sunrise Senior Living Provides Support And Tips For Spending The Holidays With Loved Ones Living With Memory Loss
MCLEAN, Va., Nov. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- In honor of Alzheimer's Awareness Month and the holiday season, Sunrise Senior Living (NYSE: SRZ) is offering tips and support groups to help families as they care for the growing number of seniors with memory loss.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/58277-sunrise-senior-living-memory-loss-alzheimer-s-awareness-month
"The holidays can be a stressful time for any family and celebrating with a loved one with memory loss adds unique challenges," said Rita Altman, vice president of Memory Care and Program Services at Sunrise. "The holidays are meant for celebrating together, so it is important to help those with memory loss feel that they are a part of your celebration. By following these simple tips, you can include your loved ones in more meaningful ways."With more than 30 years of experience providing care for those living with dementia, including Alzheimer's disease, Sunrise provides the following tips to help families make this holiday season more memorable:
- PREPARE: Remind family and friends they should "live in the moment" with the person and accept that they may not be able to remember. Develop ways to communicate with your loved one; however, try to avoid saying "don't you remember when..."
- ADAPT: Individuals with memory loss often feel overwhelmed. Try simplifying a table setting, turning down music or asking people to speak clearly and a little more slowly to ease anxiety.
- ENGAGE SENSES: Scents and memories are often closely linked. Recreate a favorite dish or have your loved one help you make it. Play their favorite holiday music, sing with them, or dance together. Don't forget to incorporate your pets!
- GET SUPPORT: Taking a break from caregiving can be a positive step for both you and your loved one. Turn to a local Sunrise community throughout the year for support groups for family members and short-term stays for loved ones.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV