United Community Financial Corp. (Company) (Nasdaq: UCFC), holding company of The Home Savings and Loan Company of Youngstown, Ohio (Home Savings), today reported a consolidated net loss of $26.9 million, or $(0.82) per diluted share, for the three months ended September 30, 2012. The loss was due primarily to a $33.0 million charge related to the bulk loan sale. The Company also reported a net loss of $23.0 million, or $(0.70) per diluted share, for the nine months ended September 30, 2012.
Selected third quarter results:
- Delinquent loans were $51.2 million at September 30, 2012, down 59.6% year to date
- Nonperforming assets were $66.8 million at September 30, 2012, down 57.4% year to date
- Classified loans were $58.4 million at September 30, 2012, down 73.5% year to date
- Home Savings’ Tier 1 leverage ratio was 8.27% and the total risk based capital ratio was 15.85%
Patrick W. Bevack, President and Chief Executive Officer of UCFC and Home Savings, commented that, “The bulk asset sale completed in September represented an enormous step forward for the Company. We have achieved a substantial improvement in our asset quality and a dramatic reduction in our risk profile, and have exceeded our regulatory asset quality targets well ahead of schedule.”
Asset QualityDelinquent loans were $51.2 million at September 30, 2012, down $144.0 million, or 74.8%, from their high point of $195.2 million at March 31, 2010. Nonperforming loans at September 30, 2012 were $46.6 million, down $108.5 million, or 70.0%, from their high point of $155.1 million at June 30, 2010. Nonperforming assets were $66.8 million at September 30, 2012, down $130.4 million, or 66.1%, from their high point of $197.2 million at June 30, 2010. Significant improvement in asset quality in the third quarter was driven by the bulk sale. Of the loans sold in the bulk sale, $91.6 million were classified, $63.3 million were nonperforming and $53.0 million were noncurrent.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts