AMR Pilot Deal Would Help Merger: Analyst
AMR and the Allied Pilots Association reached an agreement in principle on Friday. The union said it provides "an industry standard contract while enabling American Airlines to complete a successful restructuring and compete on a level playing field with its network-carrier peers." Pilots have yet to vote on the deal.
In a note issued Tuesday, J.P. Morgan analyst Jamie Baker wrote that investors have asked whether the deal represents "labor détente, thereby diminishing the prospects for consolidation." He said the opposite is true.
"A stand-alone plan inclusive of a pilot contract is a must-have for AMR's unsecured creditors committee, in our view, so that it may be compared to the merits of a merger," Baker wrote. "Quite frankly, two plans are expected to come under consideration, and the lack of a completed stand-alone plan threatened to weigh down the process."Baker said he believes that creditors will likely have the opportunity to review competing plans by early next year. American has until Jan. 28 to file its restructuring plan with the bankruptcy court after Judge Sean Lane last week granted a request, backed by the unsecured creditors committee, to extend the filing period by one month. Follow @tedreednc -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed .
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV