With the looming expenditure gap, the demand to improve public- sector efficiency has never been greater. Canada could save as much as $95 billion in annual expenditures by 2025 by increasing public- sector efficiency by less than 1 percent (.92%) a year — more than enough to close the gap.
" Ninety-three billion dollars in projected additional costs for Canadian public services by 2025 leaves government leaders—at the federal, provincial and territorial levels—with a difficult new reality," said Claudia Thompson, who leads Accenture's Health & Public Service business in Canada. "We believe increasing efficiency in the public-sector must be part of the solution; it gives government leaders an option beyond just the traditional choices of cutting services and raising revenue and, as our research showed, citizens want government to provide services in a more cost effective way."
Citizen Satisfaction Accenture also surveyed citizens on their satisfaction with public services. A poll of 5,000 people, conducted across the same 10 countries by Ipsos MORI, showed that 54 percent of Canadian respondents said they are satisfied with the services they receive from government, compared to a global average of 36 percent.
Canadian citizens were asked what they considered most important for government to focus on to improve public services in the future and the majority of respondents cited, "provide services in a more cost effective way" (44 percent) and "plan for the long-term, not just the next few years" (38 percent), as their top priorities. Interestingly, Canadian citizens were far more likely than the global average (24 percent) to choose planning for the future as a priority, indicating that the high costs of public service delivery occupies a top place in the mind of the Canadian public.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV