Today, MapQuest, a wholly owned subsidiary of AOL Inc. (NYSE: AOL), announces MapQuest Discover, one of several upcoming tools focused on the complete travel experience: discovering, planning, exploring and documenting the places where the map meets life. MapQuest Discover is part of the ongoing evolution of MapQuest’s products and services designed to help enhance a traveler’s journey.
At launch, MapQuest Discover features a social platform that encourages destination discovery through photos, allowing users to create and share collections and photos from trips they’ve taken or are currently planning.
“MapQuest Discover captures how a traveler gets inspired,” said Francis Lobo, senior vice president of AOL Services. “As one user’s collections pique another’s interest, the MapQuest Discover platform spurs continued travel and shared experiences.”
MapQuest DiscoverThis beta release of MapQuest Discover focuses on places, inspiring you to explore and share with customized collections of destinations in a photo or map format. Components of MapQuest Discover include:
- Collections: a feature that allows users to create and share collections of their favorite places (“My favorite pubs” or “The Best Golf Courses in North America”), the trips they’ve been on or their bucket lists filled with places they want to go. Collections have a leaderboard which shows who’s been to the most places in that collection, encouraging good natured bragging rights (“I’ve been to 49 of the 50 states!”).
- Newsfeed: an infinite scroll of interesting places, popular collections and guides by professional travel writers to inspire you. Users can quickly Like a place, mark that they have Been to a place, or add a place to one of their own Collections. Popular collections are influenced by user’s favorites and featured higher in the news feed.
- Passport: a user’s “Passport” serves as their profile page and shows all the places a user has been, collections created, and more.
- Travel Content: access to hundreds of travel guides written by travel experts, inspiring articles about top travel destinations to help make travel planning even easier.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts