New Data Supporting Use Of EXPAREL Via Infiltration Into The Transversus Abdominis Plane Presented At 11th Annual American Society Of Regional Anesthesia And Pain Medicine Meeting
Pacira Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: PCRX) today announced the first data presentation supporting the use of EXPAREL ® (bupivacaine liposome injectable suspension) infiltrated into the transversus abdominis plane (TAP) for postsurgical pain management. TAP infiltration is being increasingly utilized for postsurgical analgesia in abdominal procedures as clinicians aim to maintain pain control while reducing reliance on opioid analgesics. Andrew Sternlicht, M.D., Assistant Clinical Professor of Anesthesiology at the Tufts University School of Medicine, is lead author on a poster presentation of the data, which will be presented at the 11 th Annual American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine (ASRA) Meeting, taking place November 15-18, 2012 in Miami.
Twenty-four patients undergoing robotic prostatectomy were enrolled in this open-label, prospective study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of EXPAREL via TAP infiltration. Key findings include:
- Patients required a mean of less than one oxycodone/acetaminophen tablet per day from their discharge until their day 10 visit.
- 100 percent of the available subjects reported being either satisfied or extremely satisfied with their postsurgical pain control at hospital discharge, at 72 hours and on day 10.
- When retrospectively compared to a 2011 study of patients who received a TAP infiltration of bupivacaine HCl, patients administered EXPAREL in the same fashion had similar or better pain scores with a reduced requirement for opioids.
There were no treatment-related adverse events in the study. EXPAREL is indicated for single-dose administration into the surgical site to produce postsurgical analgesia.
New Options are Imperative for Improved Postsurgical AnalgesiaAdditionally at ASRA, Tong-Joo Gan, M.D., M.H.S., Professor and Vice Chair, Department of Anesthesiology at Duke University Medical Center, will present a poster that describes results from a 300-patient survey conducted to assess the current state of postsurgical pain management.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV