The grand opening was attended today by Mr. Abdul-Latif, Dr. Khan, and other PepsiCo leaders. Mr. Huang Feng, Deputy Director General, Ministry of Commerce; Mr. Dai Hua,Vice Governor of Minhang District, Shanghai and other local officials and industry association senior representatives also attended.
Mr. Dai said: "PepsiCo is one of the world's most successful food and beverage companies, and we're proud that they continue to grow and invest in China. Shanghai is a vibrant business center with a wealth of human capital, informational technology, and commerce that continues to attract great companies like PepsiCo. Multinational companies are playing an important role in Shanghai's continued development, and we look forward to having PepsiCo as part of the fabric of Shanghai for many years to come."
Tailoring Global Brands for Local Tastes
PepsiCo has a strong portfolio of global food and beverage brands that includes 22 brands that generate more than $1 billion each in annual retail sales. A key focus of the PepsiCo Asian R&D center will be tailoring these brands for regional consumer taste preferences and developing locally relevant new products. PepsiCo has developed and launched a number of locally relevant new products in Asian markets in recent years, including:
- A series of popular new Lay's potato chip flavors, including the successful 'cool range' featuring cucumber and ice lemon tea flavors, as well as regional favorites such as hot and sour fish soup and seaweed. Local flavors have played a key role in making Lay's the world's largest food brand.
- Popular new flavors across the company's carbonated soft drink portfolio, such as sour plum and peach flavors of Mirinda, one of the world's largest flavored soft drink brands.
- Quaker Oats for Rice and Quaker Congees, made with whole grain oats and locally relevant ingredients like red dates, wolfberry and white fungus. These new items have helped drive Quaker's overall growth throughout the region, where it is quickly establishing itself as one of the largest cereal and nutrition brands.
- Popular juice offerings, such as Tropicana Pulp Sacs juice drinks sold throughout the region that were created to meet the flavor and texture preferences of Chinese and Asian consumers, and Tropicana CoCo Quench, a delicious new coconut water in the Philippines.
- Smith's Extra Crunchy, a popular line of Australia's top-selling chip brand that comes is a range of locally relevant flavors, including flame grilled steak and honey glazed ham.
- Quaker NutriGo, a powdered oat-based beverage in the Philippines that offers the nutritional benefits and great taste of Quaker Oats in a package that combines convenience and value for Filipino consumers.
- Completed a strategic beverage alliance with Tingyi to create the number one liquid refreshment beverage system in China.
- Opened new beverage manufacturing plants in Kunming and Zhengzhou, China. The Tingyi-PepsiCo beverage system now has more than 70 manufacturing plants across China and provides consumers with several of the country's most popular beverage products, including: Pepsi-Cola, China's top-selling cola; Mirinda, China's top-selling flavored carbonated soft drink; Gatorade, one of China's top-selling sports drinks; China's top-selling tea and water brands, sold under the Master Kong brand name; and China's largest juice portfolio.
- Opened a new Frito-Lay manufacturing plant in Wuhan, China that is equipped with one of the most advanced potato chip production lines in the world and will support plans to fuel the expansion of PepsiCo's snacks business in China, where Lay's is the top-selling chip brand.
- Signed an agreement to form a strategic beverage alliance with Suntory in Vietnam, where PepsiCo is one of the leading liquid refreshment beverage companies. The alliance, which is subject to the completion of legal processes, is designed to combine the capabilities of both companies in ways that are mutually beneficial to their businesses, customers and consumers.
- Signed a distribution agreement with Diamond Star, one of the largest consumer packaged goods distributors in Myanmar, to distribute PepsiCo beverage brands in the market.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV