ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- To help clients increase their IT utilization and reduce datacenter operation costs, IBM (NYSE: IBM) today introduced new mobile, management and storage components for its PureFlex and Flex System portfolios. Key among these components is a new storage system to help improve storage utilization as much as 30 percent while delivering extraordinary ease of use.
This storage system is tightly integrated with IBM Flex System Manager and uses IBM Storwize family virtualization and unique IBM Real-time Compression technologies to help clients reduce storage requirements by up to 80 percent. As a result, clients can run their most important workloads with no application performance degradation.
IBM also unveiled new capabilities for PureFlex and Flex Systems that will provide the management and administration tools clients need to effectively increase their datacenter utilization. These include: integrated end-to-end storage management; mobile access to the system for clients through a wide range of mobile devices (Android, Blackberry and iOS); and centralized control of user id's and passwords across nodes and chassis for greater system security. These features will build upon the capabilities of Flex System Manager to help organizations more efficiently create and manage their IT infrastructures.Recent research from IDC illustrates that one of the main challenges IT organizations face today is around the deployment, management, and administration of servers – which are consuming a larger portion of the overall IT budget and consequently leaving fewer resources to spend on new projects. Sixteen years ago the bulk of IT budgets was spent on hardware, with less than 30 percent on management and administration. By 2013, that relationship will have completely flipped and management now will drive nearly 70 percent of all expenditures. (1) "Clients are telling us that when they look to upgrade the legacy servers and storage that constitute their current IT infrastructures they don't want to spend too much time and effort tuning and managing the new systems," said Andrew Monshaw, GM IBM PureFlex. "These are the companies that are turning to PureSystems to reduce their costs and increase their datacenter utilization." To date, more than 1,000 PureFlex and Flex Systems have shipped in more than 40 countries around the world. Clients are installing IBM PureFlex or Flex System to help reduce IT cost and complexity. For example:
- Finnish IT outsourcing services and data center services provider Academica will use PureFlex to rededicate time formerly spent on IT maintenance and support to driving customer service support and developing new services. As a result of this new allocation of resources, Academica will be able to focus on expanding its business by improving services to meet evolving customer requirements.
- China's Xi'an University of Architecture and Technology will use IBM PureFlex to help improve the quality of education services offered to students and launch the university's Digital Campus platform and student Campus Card.
- India's Thane Bharat Sahakari Bank selected a Smarter Computing solution built on IBM PureFlex over its existing environment to create an intelligent infrastructure designed to help the bank manage growth, introduce new client services and boost its profitability.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts