While I was never on board for the company to issue one in the first place, Apple could raise its dividend. That could be a major catalyst. Not only would Steve Jobs have never appeased shareholders, he sure as heck would never raise a dividend to pump the stock.
I wouldn't put it past Tim Cook, particularly if holiday earnings miss, are in line or only modestly beat.
Bottom line: If Apple knocks off, it will result from its own doing. They're not there yet.
Innovation from the big boys is all but absent.Companies such as Google (GOOG) can do little more than compete -- feebly -- on price. And the ones who don't attempt to undercut Apple bring nothing compelling enough or, in RIM's case, on time to woo holiday shoppers. When the bear trap snaps, it's going to get ugly. At the time of publication the author was long AAPL.
Follow @rocco_thestreet This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV