"People in Middle America, who love sports, but want a different experience, they're on Android," he said. "And as we get more international, we're seeing a lot more Android devices."
The panelists all seemed to agree that disruption in the mobile marketplace is par for the course. The explosion of mobile devices is "giving new entrants opportunity to come in and completely change the existing landscape," according to Jay Jamison, panelist and partner of Blue Run Ventures. "And I think it makes it a very exciting time to be an early stage investor and a very exciting time to watch what's happening in the marketplace."
"85 percent of the smart phones that are connected to a network today are running on operating systems that did not exist five years ago," said Talbot, as he walked through the short history of mobile. "The only thing that you can assume is that something is going to change -- Because that's been the pattern," he said.
As for smartphones, however, great things are expected from Apple's iPhone 5, which was launched in a blaze of publicity in September. Strategy Analytics, for example, predicts that the Galaxy S III's position as the world's best-selling smartphone is likely to be short-lived, thanks to Apple's latest smartphone.Interested in more on Apple? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Nathalie Pierrepont in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @nrpierrepont
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV