Bank of America Merrill Lynch analyst Erika Penala on Monday reiterated her "Buy" rating for Citigroup, calling the company "the one discounted, real recovery story left in U.S. banks - a recovery that we believe is clearly on track, as affirmed by 3Q12 results."
Penala's price objective for Citigroup is $45, and she expects the company to return roughly $4 billion in capital to investors during 2013.
"Over time, we expect C to return 11% of market-cap to shareholders," Penala said, adding that "an approval in Mar '13 would not only establish C as a capital return story, but could give investors confidence that there are no 'tail risk' issues -key for money center multiples to re-rate higher."
Citigroup's multiples are particularly low. The shares trade for 0.7 times their reported Sept. 30 tangible book value of $52.70, and for eight times the consensus 2013 earnings estimate of $4.64 a share, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. The consensus 2014 EPS estimate is $5.04.Citi's shares have now returned 39% year-to-date, following a 44% decline during 2011. C data by YCharts
Interested in more on Citigroup? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV