Apple reportedly has enough cash on its books to buy out Amazon (AMZN), which is why Cook finally instituted a dividend now yielding almost 2%. Take that out, assume no earnings growth, and you have a forward PE close to that of Microsoft (MSFT). Take out all the accounting and current PE is still just 80% of Microsoft's -- which would you rather own?
And if you can't help worrying about the company, take comfort in the fact that there are now more people on the Apple beat than there were Kremlinologists at the height of the Cold War. They also make more and I hear some are better looking.
Now it's true that, because of its size, Apple will never be what it was in the last decade. But the "woe is me" stuff, like this from CBS Moneywatch comparing the company to Dell (DELL) is well overdone.
That's what I'll tell my friend DB next time I see him. Waiter, 10 more.At the time of publication, the author was long GOOG, MSFT and AAPL. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV