- Budgets are set. Just because Americans plan on spending more over the next six weeks doesn't mean they don't have a financial plan for the holidays. The survey notes 51% of Americans say they have a budget this year and are determined to hold to it.
- Good deals are the big factor. Forty-two percent of consumers say that of all factors affecting their buying outlook, retailers' sales and promotions are at the top of that list. That beats household spending (27%) and a consumer's job situation (13%) by a wide margin. Clearly, getting good value continues to be a part of the new economic normal for U.S. shoppers.
- High-end shoppers are on the rise. Last year only 2% of survey respondents said they would spend between $1,000 and $5,000 on holiday spending. But shoppers must really be feeling their oats, as that figure up to 14% in 2012.
- Bosses aren't the priority. Only 1% of U.S. consumers will spend the highest amount on a co-worker or a boss this holiday. No offense, though -- most of consumers' shopping budgets are geared toward children (42%) and significant others (26%). "Close friends" will get the lion's share of holiday presents from 6% of consumers.
- Shipping is a big plus. Discover asked survey respondents what the optimal deal would be when shopping online. 79% said free shipping was best, followed by exclusive sales and offers, and coupon codes, which women particularly found favorable. Free shipping was considered a non-negotiable "must have" by holiday shoppers.
- Consumers are getting fickle. The gift that shows you really care this year is cash, or at least a gift card. Both items topped the "wish lists" of gifts both genders want to see under the tree this year.
Consumers Ready to Add $100 to Holiday Shopping, Survey Says
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.