- Budgets are set. Just because Americans plan on spending more over the next six weeks doesn't mean they don't have a financial plan for the holidays. The survey notes 51% of Americans say they have a budget this year and are determined to hold to it.
- Good deals are the big factor. Forty-two percent of consumers say that of all factors affecting their buying outlook, retailers' sales and promotions are at the top of that list. That beats household spending (27%) and a consumer's job situation (13%) by a wide margin. Clearly, getting good value continues to be a part of the new economic normal for U.S. shoppers.
- High-end shoppers are on the rise. Last year only 2% of survey respondents said they would spend between $1,000 and $5,000 on holiday spending. But shoppers must really be feeling their oats, as that figure up to 14% in 2012.
- Bosses aren't the priority. Only 1% of U.S. consumers will spend the highest amount on a co-worker or a boss this holiday. No offense, though -- most of consumers' shopping budgets are geared toward children (42%) and significant others (26%). "Close friends" will get the lion's share of holiday presents from 6% of consumers.
- Shipping is a big plus. Discover asked survey respondents what the optimal deal would be when shopping online. 79% said free shipping was best, followed by exclusive sales and offers, and coupon codes, which women particularly found favorable. Free shipping was considered a non-negotiable "must have" by holiday shoppers.
- Consumers are getting fickle. The gift that shows you really care this year is cash, or at least a gift card. Both items topped the "wish lists" of gifts both genders want to see under the tree this year.
Consumers Ready to Add $100 to Holiday Shopping, Survey Says
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts