Despite all of the noise, investors blew out of stocks because, in connection with, though not directly related to, the fiscal cliff, they took gains in big winners.
Cramer used Whole Foods (WFM) as an example.
You have massive gains in a stock that has run over the last year or two. Even if the world was a wholly certain place, you would be crazy to not take at least some profits.There are a million AAPLs and WFMs out there. Up more than 30% year-to-date, but down -- and underperforming the major indices -- over the last week and/or month. Run a screen. It's hardly universal, but many of the biggest YTD gainers have recorded the heftiest post-election losses. If you need that cash to live in a fiscal cliff-crushed economy, save it! Protect yourself from job loss or further stock market erosion. Look for ways to not only subsist, but succeed in a situation other than the one that has you all anxious. Just as it's absurd for big companies to blame political gridlock for their lack of spending, it's misguided for Americans -- investors or otherwise -- to use economic uncertainty or an Obama win as an excuse. Great companies spend in the face of whatever happens macro-economically. Do you think Steve Jobs would have slowed innovation at Apple because of something George Bush was doing? He didn't. And there's a reason why Jeff Bezos will not slow spending at Amazon.com (AMZN). These types of guys make things happen. They dictate their own fate and, in the process, the fate of the reluctant and externalizing other. More companies and more individual investors need to do likewise gents and take control of what they can in the best interest of their personal destinies. Rocco Pendola is long AAPL, IBM. Follow @rocco_thestreet
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV