Apple is reportedly starting trial production on the iPhone 5S. This comes just three months after Apple announced the iPhone 5 to significant fanfare.
The technology giant has also come to terms with Taiwanese handset maker HTC over patent litigation, with HTC reportedly paying between $6 and $8 per handset, according to Sterne Agee analyst Shaw Wu.
Apple has amped up its patent litigation in recent weeks, as it believes Android, Google's (GOOG) mobile operating system, infringes upon several iPhone-related patents.
Research In Motion (RIMM) shares were rising, gaining 2.57% to $8.76, after the company announced its BlackBerry 10 platform would launch early next year. In a statement, RIM said the launch event will happen on Jan. 30, 2013, taking place in multiple countries around the world. The company said the first two BlackBerry 10 smartphones would also be unveiled at the event. "In building BlackBerry 10, we set out to create a truly unique mobile computing experience that constantly adapts to your needs. Our team has been working tirelessly to bring our customers innovative features combined with a best in class browser, a rich application ecosystem, and cutting-edge multimedia capabilities. All of this will be integrated into a user experience -- the BlackBerry Flow -- that is unlike any smartphone on the market today," said Thorsten Heins, president and CEO in the press release.
Microsoft (MSFT) shares fell 1.73% to $28.33 after CEO Steve Ballmer called sales of the company's Surface tablet "modest." Ballmer was interviewed by French newspaper Le Parisien; he cited limited availability online and few retail stores as the reason for the slow start to sales. Interested in more on Microsoft? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV