Working with the National Foundation for Governor’s Fitness Councils ® and the American College of Sports Medicine, The Coca-Cola Company dedicated $5 million to place 100 new fitness centers in schools across the U.S. over the next five years. The centers will feature state-of-the-art fitness equipment and provide more than 5 million workouts annually. This effort expands on a pilot program in California with Jake “Body by Jake ®” Steinfeld, former Chairman of the California Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports and current Chairman of the National Foundation for Governors’ Fitness Councils. To date, three schools in Philadelphia, Washington D.C. and Boston have been identified as fitness center locations. By the end of 2012, the National Foundation will dedicate 15 Live Positively Fitness Centers in elementary and middle schools across the country.
Supporting nutrition education initiatives and physical activity programs helps people understand the importance of consuming a sensible, balanced diet and maintaining energy balance.
Through support from the Foundation, organizations like the Academy for Nutrition and Dietetics are able to provide dietician-led scientifically-based health and nutrition lessons in their local communities. Across our Coca-Cola Digital Network, comprised of more than 60 digital outlets, we have partnered with health professionals such as the American Academy of Family Physicians, American College of Cardiology and National Medical Society to deliver important public health messages.
“We remain committed to taking bold and decisive steps towards promoting workable solutions to obesity,” said Cahillane. “By working collaboratively with government, business and civil society, we can provide people with nutrition education and support many vital programs that help people lead active lives.”In 2012, other organizations receiving grants to support active, healthy living programs include:
- San Francisco Parks Alliance, San Francisco, CA
- Big Sur International Marathon, Carmel, CA
- CAN DO Houston, Houston, TX
- YMCA of Greater New York, New York, NY
- Portland After-School Tennis & Education, Inc., Portland, OR
- National Hip-Hop Summit Council, New York, NY
- American Diabetes Association, Atlanta, GA
- America’s State Parks Foundation, Raleigh, NC
- Body Sculpts of New York, Inc., New York, NY
- Sheriffs Activities League, San Mateo County, CA
- The Center for Closing the Health Gap, Cincinnati, OH
- 100 Black Men of America, Inc., Atlanta, GA
- Boys & Girls Club of San Gabriel Valley, San Gabriel Valley, CA
- University of South Carolina Educational Foundation, Columbia, SC
- Vive En Forma, Chicago, IL
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts