DALLAS, Nov. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ:TXN) today introduced a power management controller with a 700-V start-up switch that achieves less than 10 mW of "no-load" standby power in 5- and 10-watt cube adapters used with smartphones and tablets. In addition to the lower power capability, the new UCC28710 primary-side, regulated flyback controller helps designers create smaller cube adapters and AC-powered equipment. For more information and samples, visit: www.ti.com/ucc28710-pr.
The innovative controller maintains an industry-best 78-percent average power efficiency at 5 watts, which allows adapters to meet the European Commission's 5-Star no-load power consumption rating of <30 mW. The UCC28710 also leverages TI's new .25um, 700-V analog process technology, called LBC7HV, to integrate the start-up switch -- saving an additional 8 mW to 10 mW of standby power.
Key features and benefits of the UCC28710:
- Lowest standby power: achieves <10-mW standby power consumption and provides high-voltage start-up capability.
- Highest integration with primary-side regulation: eliminates the need for an optocoupler and TL431 feedback circuit; supports widest input voltage range with VDD, resulting in smaller bias capacitors; supports smaller transformers because of its high-frequency operation; and reduces overall design size and complexity without the need for additional external circuits.
Speed time-to-market with adapter charging reference designsThe family of UCC287xx controllers includes the UCC28700, UCC28701 and other products to help customers simplify and speed their adapter designs. A new UCC28710 controller-based 10-W AC Eco-charger for tablets and smartphones design adds to TI's growing PowerLab™ reference design library for AC adapters, universal USB charging cubes and car chargers.Availability and pricingThe UCC28710 flyback controller is available in a 7-pin, SOIC package and is priced at US$0.42 in quantities of 1,000. The 5-W UCC28711EVM evaluation module is available for ordering through TI's eStore. The module converts a 90-V to 265-V RMS input voltage down to 5 V DC, with a 1-A current limit for USB adapter applications.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV