New Book The Work Of Hope Highlights People's Need To End Divisiveness And Acrimony In Society
BETHESDA, Md., Nov. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The Harwood Institute for Public Innovation, a non-profit, non-partisan organization that inspires and guides people to take action rooted in the community and stay true to themselves, has published a new book written by Richard C. Harwood, The Work of Hope. Stemming from conversations Rich had in diverse communities throughout the country in 2011 and early 2012, the book shows that fixing politics or even the economy won't fix what is broken in the country.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-book-the-work-of-hope-highlights-peoples-need-to-end-divisiveness-and-acrimony-in-society-178237331.html
More than two decades ago, Rich released the groundbreaking report Citizens and Politics: A View From Main Street America, the first major study to reveal people were not "apathetic" about politics and public life, but rather felt disconnected and pushed out. In this follow-up book twenty years later, Rich learned that society has changed, that people's worries are more distinctly human. The major insights Rich found are:
- The endless acrimony, division and noise of our politics and public life make people feel like they live in the Tower of Babel.
- An endless push for instant gratification now drives our daily behaviors and our unwillingness to make the investments we need.
- We must get back to basics to ignite more compassion, openness, humility and concern for the common good in daily life.
- Americans must kick-start a new trajectory for the country through actions that start small and locally – where we can rebuild trust, relationships and confidence.
- The central task is to restore belief in ourselves and one another that we can get things done, together.
"The book captures Americans' desire to reengage and reconnect with one another in the public square, and their yearning for humanity and humility in public life and politics," said Rich, founder and president of The Harwood Institute. "These aspirations are reflected in my work in communities throughout the country and align with the Institute's mission to spark fundamental change and authentic hope in American public life."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV