PLYMOUTH, Minn., Nov. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The Mosaic Company (NYSE: MOS) today released its 2012 Corporate Sustainability Report, which includes information on 86 indicators according to the Global Reporting Initiative 3.1 and the Mining and Metals sector supplement. The web-based report highlights Mosaic's progress in the areas of food, the environment, community and people.
For Mosaic, the sustainability of its organization begins with the health and safety of employees and contractors. In fiscal 2012, Mosaic made great progress in its relentless pursuit of an injury-free workplace with a more than 50 percent improvement in its Mosaic Safety Index over fiscal 2011—achieving its best year of safety performance in company history. Learn how Mosaic continues to develop its safety culture across global operations in the video, " Safety: The Bottom Line is People."
"Sustainability is embedded in virtually everything we do, from stringent safety programs to energy efficiency, water conservation and community investment," said Jim Prokopanko, President and CEO of Mosaic. "It's also reflected in our commitment to increased transparency and accountability companywide."
Putting promise into action at the facility level, Mosaic's Phosphates and Potash businesses produced enough electrical energy to satisfy 47 percent of companywide demand through cogeneration, the process of converting waste heat to energy. As a result, Mosaic reduced its carbon emissions by approximately 1.2 million tonnes and lowered electricity expenditures by approximately $100 million in 2011.Additional accomplishments in this year's sustainability report include:
- Ranked No. 28 in Corporate Responsibility Magazine's 100 Best Corporate Citizens in the United States, up from 67 in 2011.
- Scored 90 out of 100 for disclosure of information in the 2012 Carbon Disclosure Project report—a 12-point increase from last year--and received a grade "B" for climate performance.
- Signed the United Nations Global Compact, affirming the company's deep commitment to operate according to universally accepted principles in the areas of human rights, labor, environment and anticorruption.
- Improved Recordable Incident Frequency Rate by 25 percent versus fiscal 2011, and Lost Time Incident Frequency Rate improved by 33 percent over last year.
- Reused or recycled approximately 95 percent of water used at Florida Phosphates operations in 2011. Over the last 20 years, these operations have decreased groundwater use by more than 50 percent.
- Satisfied approximately 80 percent of water needs through recycling and reuse at Canadian potash shaft facilities.
- Developed Nexfos ® feed-grade phosphate, a new product that requires approximately 90 percent less water and 55 percent less electricity per ton to produce than traditional feed-grade phosphate.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV