DES PLAINES, Ill., Nov. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- UOP LLC, a Honeywell (NYSE: HON) company, announced today that Italy's largest energy company, Eni S.p.A., will produce renewable diesel using Honeywell's UOP/Eni Ecofining™ process at its facility in Venice.
In a difficult environment for the European refining industry, Eni S.p.A. decided to invest in an innovative project that would produce renewable fuel at its Venice refinery. Eni will retrofit existing equipment at its facility, currently being used to produce petroleum-based diesel, to produce renewable diesel.
"This project truly demonstrates the flexibility of the UOP/Eni Ecofining process. Not only does it produce a drop-in fuel replacement for end-users, but refiners can operate the process by simply modifying existing assets that might otherwise go unused," said Jim Rekoske, vice president and general manager of Honeywell's UOP Renewable Energy and Chemicals business unit. "We applaud Eni S.p.A. for its innovative approach and vision to provide new life for aging assets in the form of a renewable fuel production unit. We look forward to working with Eni S.p.A on this project, which supports the European Union's mandate for increased reliance on renewable energy."
Eni's decision to convert its assets for biofuel production will support local emissions regulations. The European Union's Renewable Energy Directive mandates that, by 2020, 20 percent of its countries' energy must come from renewable sources, and greenhouse gases must be reduced by 20 percent. Eni plans to eventually convert its entire Venice refinery into a renewable diesel production facility.The UOP/Eni Ecofining process produces a renewable diesel fuel, which is a drop-in replacement for traditional diesel. Unlike biodiesel, it is chemically identical to petroleum-based diesel and can be used in any proportion in existing fuel tanks without engine or infrastructure changes.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV