BOULDER, Colo. (TheStreet) --Clovis Oncology (CLVS) is shutting down development of its experimental pancreatic cancer drug C0-101 following negative results from a late-stage study, the company said Monday.
Pancreatic cancer patients treated with CO-101 did not live any longer than patients treated with the chemotherapy drug gemcitabine. Median survival in each arm of the study was approximately six months.
"We are obviously disappointed with these results, which are unambiguous," said Clovis CEO Pat Mahaffy.
Clovis shares closed Friday at $21.49.[Celgene (CELG) reported Friday a positive survival benefit from a phase III study of its cancer drug Abraxane in pancreatic cancer.] Clovis' CO-101 is novel, lipid-conjugated form of gemcitabine developed to benefit pancreatic cancer patients with low levels of of a protein known as hENT1. Previous research suggested low hENT1 levels prevented ordinary gemcitabine from getting into pancreatic tumor cells. CO-101 was designed to enter pancreatic cancer cells independently of a patient's hENT1 status. Once inside the cell, CO-101 was converted to the active form of gemcitabine. But Monday, Clovis acknowledged that hENT1 status had no impact on survival for pancreatic cancer patients on gemcitabine. Clovis has two other cancer drugs in early stages of clinical studies. The company anticipates ending the year with approximately $140 million in cash. -- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow @AdamFeuerstein
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV