Report Finds Catholics Active In Social Media, Room To Grow For Church's Online Presence
Respondents divided roughly into thirds between those who identify as Catholic in their online profiles, those who do not identify themselves and those who do not have any online profiles. Nearly half (47 percent) of those using social media reported visiting the site at least once a day, and slightly fewer (45 percent) share content at least once a week or more.
Nineteen percent of Catholics 30 and under reported sharing content on social media at least once a day. Women were more likely than men to post daily (17 percent to 9 percent), and the most popular social networking sites for daily posters were Tumblr (50 percent), Instagram (44 percent), and Twitter (34 percent).
Two-thirds of adult Catholics (68 percent) indicate that they visit YouTube. That number rises to 84 percent among Catholics age 30 and under. According to the report, the fact that 43 percent of Catholics born before 1943 still visit YouTube represents the popularity of the site, which ranks only behind Google in online traffic. Respondents who took the survey in Spanish were just as likely to visit YouTube as those who took the survey in English. Only 6 percent of respondents said they visited YouTube to view religious content. This rose to 17 percent among weekly Mass attendees.
Eight percent of adult Catholics who regularly use a digital device indicate that they use at least one Catholic-related application on these. Five percent (or 2.9 million people) read or follow blogs on the Catholic Church, faith, or spirituality. Among weekly Mass attenders, 13 percent read or follow blogs on the Church. Of those who read these blogs, 72 percent said they do so to learn more about the Church's teachings and their faith, and 71 percent said they do so to stay up to date on news of the Church.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV