Nov. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Allen Johnson ends 17-year quest with a first career NHRA Pro Stock championship, qualifies No. 2 at NHRA Finals
- Johnson's Pro Stock crown gives the Mopar brand its first title in the class since 1994
- The Greeneville, Tenn., native, who along with his father and engine builder, Roy Johnson, began racing in Pro Stock in 1996, realizes the ultimate dream of the father-and-son team
- Johnson will look to cap a career season with possible seventh win of the year during eliminations on Sunday at the NHRA Finals in Pomona
After 17 years, Mopar Dodge Avenger driver
and his J&J Racing team can finally claim a long sought after and much-desired label: NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series Pro Stock champions. By qualifying No. 2 for the Automobile Club of Southern California NHRA Finals in
, Johnson clinched the 2012 NHRA Pro Stock title, and will have one last chance to top off a dream year by working towards victory in the elimination rounds of the NHRA Finals on Sunday.
"Mopar salutes the new NHRA Pro Stock World Champion and we offer our heartfelt congratulations to AJ, Roy and the whole team on their efforts and well-earned honor," said
, President and CEO of Mopar, Chrysler Group LLC's service, parts and customer-care brand. "Allen's tenacity and competitive spirit is a true testimony to the Mopar DNA. It has been a tremendous season for the J&J team earning six Wallys and 51 round wins in the Dodge Avenger, and we look forward to watching them finish out this championship season by contending for one last win on Sunday."
Johnson was No. 2 after the first two qualifying sessions with a best pass of 6.537-seconds at 211.56 mph. On his historic day, the
, posted runs of 6.534/211.79 and 6.518/211.99, locking into the field in the second spot and securing his first Pro Stock crown.
"For our whole Mopar team and especially my dad, this is a dream come true after 17 long years, a lot of work, a lot of money and a lot of sweat, and to finally realize it is indescribable," said Johnson, who brought home the first Pro Stock title for a Mopar driver since 1994, giving the brand a crown during the celebration of its 75th anniversary. "When we were able to go out there and consistently finish in the top two or three cars, I knew we had a legitimate shot at a championship. The Mopar Dodge Avenger was the fastest and most consistent car out there and racking up all those little points mid-season made all the difference, and we learned how to win."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts