Speaking of sociopolitical issues, research from Pew, via The Wall Street Journal, shows that across age groups, support for gay marriage continues to increase. Sixty-two percent of 18- to 29-year-olds favor legal marriage for gay and lesbian couples. Numbers continue to tick up even among those in the 30-49, 50-64 and 65-plus age groups.
So there's change coming. It's already here. Although I don't think it has much to do with Obama, he doesn't hurt. The president mentioned "gay or straight" in his victory speech. He's apparently "delighted" to see gay marriage votes pass in several states.
And now Sean Hannity has "evolved" on immigration reform.
My uptight, elitist, socially liberal friends need to chill; we've come a long way.Hannity knows this. He's anything but dumb. If he sticks to hardcore conservatism, he'll eventually die out as his most ardent supporters "evolve" or expire. He'll "evolve" as much as he needs to just to keep suits at News Corp. (NWSA) happy with his ratings. Although I believe he's genuine vis-a-vis his heartache for New Jersey, Chris Christie (and Jeff Christie) also knows the score. Timestamp this take: Christie will run for President in 2016. Though he'll likely maintain Republican status to fend off any meaningful challenges, don't be shocked to see him run as an independent. No matter the formal label, he'll brand himself an independent. He'll commend President Obama for "a job well done" over the last eight years but add that "there's still work to do." The pitch will continue:
Four years ago the President and I put aside politics during one of the most important elections of our time. We united and did what was right for America. If you elect me President of the United States, that's exactly what I'll do for the next four years.At the time of publication, Rocco Pendola was long NWSA.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV