ANCHORAGE, Alaska, Nov. 9, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Denali Media Holdings, a subsidiary of General Communication, Inc. ("GCI") (NASDAQ:GNCMA) announced today that it has agreed to the purchase of three Alaska broadcast stations: CBS affiliate KTVA-TV of Anchorage and NBC affiliates KATH-TV in Juneau and KSCT-TV of Sitka.
Denali Media Holdings will purchase KTVA-TV from Alaska Broadcasting Company, Inc./Media News Group (Affiliated Media Inc. FCC Trust) of Denver, Colorado. Affiliates KATH-TV and KSCT-TV will be purchased from North Star Broadcasting based in Juneau.
GCI President Ron Duncan says that Denali Media Holdings and the station purchases are part of GCI's strategy to add value to its media enterprise. "Our intention is to invest our resources and transform KTVA, KATH and KSCT into a news and entertainment leader unparalleled in Alaska," said Duncan. "We look at these purchases as the first step toward providing a new statewide platform for news and information, as well as providing unique content and value for GCI's video subscribers," Duncan added.
Denali Media Holdings also announced that former KTUU News Director, John Tracy will be the lead consultant in the rebuilding and rebranding of the news departments. Tracy served as news director at KTUU-TV from 1989 to 2008, when he left to become a partner in Bradley Reid & Associates, an Anchorage-based advertising and public relations firm."This is not unfamiliar territory," said Tracy. "Denali Media Holdings is committed to investing significant resources to provide Alaskans with a new choice for quality news programming and high-definition offerings. I welcome the challenge of helping restore KTVA to the community leader it once was and building on KATH and KSCT's reputations," said Tracy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV