There's another possibility, albeit a stealth one at that. President Obama's victory assures a continuation of the ultra-easy monetary policy of the Federal Reserve. (Note: Mitt Romney had talked about his opposition to Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke's electronic money printing.) It follows that there are a number of gold/metals miners in the S&P Basic Materials Index like Newmont Mining (NEM); some of them were essentially flat on the trading session, as gold figures to benefit from Obama's second term.
Last, but not least, Consumer Discretionary (XLY) showed signs of relative strength in the dramatic selloff as well. It may speak to the electorate's increasing consumption and increasing sentiment. It may also be ignoring revenue misses and poor earnings guidance going forward, but that's for another discussion.
Market Vectors Retail (RTH) may offer a less volatile way to invest in the consumer. It is weighted equally between consumer defensive and cyclical consumer stationary and has a lower beta than XLY. Yet, RTH has outperformed XLY year-to-date.Follow @ETFexpert This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV