Presidential Life Corporation Announces Third Quarter 2012 Results
“The Presidential Life management team remains focused on providing high quality service to its customers as the sale of the Company to Athene Holding Ltd. continues to progress,” said Donald Barnes, Vice Chairman of the Board, CEO and President.
Key Items for the Third Quarter Results
- Our investment spread margin 1 totaled 0.69% for the nine months ended September 30, 2012 compared to 0.91% for the nine months ended September 30, 2011. The decline primarily relates to the effect of lower market reinvestment yields on the company’s fixed income portfolio, partly offset by lower OTTI losses in the first nine months of 2012 relative to 2011. Net realized investment gains and OTTI losses tend to fluctuate from period-to-period as a result of changing economic conditions.
- Total annuity sales 2 were $13.8 million and $12.9 million in the third quarter 2012 and 2011, respectively, an increase of $0.9 million or 7.0% compared to 2011 levels as the low interest rate environment continues to challenge sales of fixed annuity products.
- Deferred annuity surrenders were $28.4 million in the third quarter of 2012 compared to $24.2 million for the same period in 2011, a 17.4% increase, representing average surrender rates of 1.42% and 1.30% for the third quarters of 2012 and 2011, respectively.
- Our statutory capital base remains strong at September 30, 2012 with our estimated Risk-Based Capital ratio 3 at 571% compared with 556% at December 31, 2011.
Discussion of Third Quarter 2012 and Year-to-Date Financial and Operating Results
As previously discussed, total revenues were $62.4 million and $54.7 million in the third quarters of 2012 and 2011, respectively, a period-over-period increase of $7.7 million or 14.1%, and were $179.5 million and $193.8 million for the nine months ended September 30, 2012 and 2011, respectively, a decrease of $14.3 million or 7.4%. The increase in the current quarter was largely attributable to an increase in net realized investment gains of $2.1 million, lower OTTI losses of $2.8 million and higher annuity considerations for the quarter. On a year to date basis, the decline of $14.3 million in total revenues is primarily the result of lower net realized capital gains of $15.4 million, largely driven by a gain from one hedge fund redemption of $10.6 million in the second quarter of 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV