From Battlefield to the Business World -- Veterans Make It on Their Own
Still, for all the effort being put into motion to turn more military vets toward entrepreneurism, in the end it is all about money. Starting a business or a franchise requires savings that not many military vets (especially the younger veterans) are like to have.
One new organization taking an initiative to help more veterans access capital is The Veterans Business Fund, a not-for-profit organization created to provide financial assistance to veterans. It plans to launch on Monday its first low-interest loan for veterans.
The organization was established in response to the high unemployment rate among veterans, many of whom are skilled through their military experience to become successful small-business owners, but lack sufficient equity capital to qualify for a small-business loan.
All principal and interest paid to the organization will be made available to future veteran entrepreneurs requiring assistance in meeting the equity requirements for a small-business loan.The fund was established by BoeFly, an online marketplace connecting small-business owners with more than 2,400 lenders, in conjunction with the IFA, SCORE, SunTrust (STI) and others. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. Follow @LKulikowski To contact Laurie Kulikowski, send an email to: Laurie.Kulikowski@thestreet.com. >To submit a news tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV